Pancakes and waffles are a staple in our house, and this is our favorite recipe. The combination of lemon juice and baking powder in this recipe creates a light and fluffy pancake similar to the classic buttermilk. This basic recipe can easily be embellished with adding blueberries, chocolate chips, or sprinkles. At least once a week we make a double batch and freeze the extras. They reheat very nicely in the toaster over for a quick breakfast.
The fruit topping pictured is a work in progress. My latest attempt included frozen berries, applesauce and honey. Magoo loved it. Bebop hated it. I’ll keep trying and share a recipe when I come up with something tasty!
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium to medium low heat. (For waffles preheat the waffle iron)
2. In a large bowl combine the flours, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3. In a separate bowl combine the water, oil, beaten eggs and lemon juice.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined, careful not to over mix.
5. Scoop 1/3 cup batter onto hot griddle and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side. (For waffles, cook according to manufacturer directions included with your waffle iron.)