From a very young age I have taught the boys to help me in the kitchen. Last week we had a few very ripe bananas sitting on the counter, so Bebop asked if he could make banana nut muffins. I’m pretty proud that my 8 year old was able to prepare this recipe completely by himself, with help from the little brothers. I only took photos and preheated the oven!
The set up. Bebop and the littles know where everything is kept in the kitchen. They gathered up all the needed ingredients, bowls, and measuring cups.
First step is to measure all the dry ingredients into a big bowl. We used the bowl from our stand mixer. It’s probably a bit unnecessary to use the big mixer for this recipe, but Bebop really wanted it.
Next you need to peal and mash the bananas. Its such a rare even that bananas survive in our house long enough to be mashed!
Measure to make sure you have enough banana sauce.
If more is needed, you can add applesauce to reach your final liquid volume. If you don’t add enough liquid, the muffins will crumble and fall apart.
Add the sugar and vanilla extract to the bananas and mix well.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients. You can just mix them by hand in a bowl, but using the big mixer is way more fun! If you are using chopped nuts, add them now as well.
Prepare your muffin trays. I like to use stoneware for baking. Just remember to add an extra 3-4 minutes to cooking times.
Scoop about a 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin tin. Then bake!
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- applesauce - up to 2 cups as needed
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir to mix.
- In a separate bowl, peal and mash bananas. If needed add applesauce to make 2 cups mashed fruit.
- Add the remaining liquid ingredients to the banana mixture: coconut oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Combine the dry and liquid ingredients. Add chopped nuts and mix well.
- Scoop ¼ cup batter into line muffin tins.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until muffins start to brown on top.