During the hot summer months, we eat salads almost every night. I like to vary my salads by sometimes using barley or brown rice in place of traditional pasta. This salad combines some of my favorite Mediterranean flavors for a light side dish. You can easily add white beans or chicken to make this a main dish.
- 1 ½ cup barley
- 3 ½ cup water
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup kalamata olives with brine
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In a medium sauce pan, bring barley and water to a boil. Cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Steam kale for 5 minutes.
- When barley is done cooking, combine with kale and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
Visit the rest of the blogs: 5 days of Summer…