I spent the past weekend at my friend Amanda’s house celebrating one of her son’s birthday. It was such a great day, especially because all our kids could run free in their huge country yard. For lunch Amanda made one of my favorite dishes, her famous chicken salad.
Why is this dish famous you might ask? Because it is delicious!
Amanda makes this salad every year for our homeschool co-op celebration and awards ceremony. Many of us look forward to eating this and its one of the first dishes that disappears. With all fresh ingredients and a splash of lemon juice, it’s a perfect dish for a summer event.
- 2 lbs cooked chicken
- 2 celery stocks, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups grapes, sliced
- 1 11oz can mandarine oranges
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- seasoned salt to taste
- Combine chicken, celery, grapes, and oranges in a large bowl.
- Toast almonds on a stove top or in a warm oven until just brown.
- Add almonds to salad.
- Add lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and seasoned salt.
- Add mayonnaise slowly. Start with ½ cup and add more until you get desired consistency.